Frequently asked questions
Which rendering engine does Coyote Browser use? Chrome? Webkit?
No, none of those. The point of this project is a fresh&clean implementation of the HTML5 and CSS standards. We do neither use (nor want to use) any of the very complex existing engines that bring a lot of unnecessary feature creep and legacy issues with their "desktop browser" history.
Where can I download the browser?
You can not (so far). A PC build is available and is used on a daily basis for R&D and verification purposes. There are however currently no plans to compete with existing desktop browsers on the PC platform. If you are interested in licensing the engine for your project/device or if you have any other valid business case or "good cause" for our engine, we would like to hear from you.
- C / C++ (cross-)compiler running on any 32bit or 64bit Windows or Linux
- C compiler dialect: C99 or later
- GNU make
(Build time for a full "make clean, make all" rebuild: ~ 20 seconds on a 12-core CPU)
- any operating with multithreading support
- approximately 128MB of RAM available for exclusive use by the engine
(actual memory requirements are extremely content-dependent)
- R/W filesystem for persistent caching and/or cookie support
Specifications implemented/covered by our engine
- CSS 2.1 (~81% pass rate for the testsuite in 01/2021)
- HBBTV 1.5 compatible
- limited support for several HBBTV 2.0 APIs
- DSM-CC / AIT handling for HBBTV
(as implemented by Duktape engine)
- HTTP 1.1 and SSL/TLS 1.2/1.3 with support for the following ciphersuites;
- TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (with x25519 curve)
- TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (with x25519 curve)
- TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA (with x25519 curve)
- TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA (with x25519 curve)
- TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256 (with x25519 curve)
- TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384 (with x25519 curve)
- TLS_ECDH_anon_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA (with x25519 curve)
- TLS_ECDH_anon_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA (with x25519 curve)
- MPEG DASH
- MP4 Streaming video